IMG +63 (032) 888-2328 IMG cebugov.pio@gmail.com
IMG-LOGO
8 FROM CPDRC, 1 IN TALISAY ADD TO CEBU PROV COVID LIST
By: Mylen Manto | Published Monday, May 11, 2020
Cebu Province records nine new Covid-19 cases as of Monday, May 11, bringing the total to 49. Of the 49, 33 are from CPDRC while 16 are from the province. (Lito Tecson)

Cebu Province recorded an additional nine positive cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - eight are from the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) and one from Talisay City, Cebu.

They are part of the 121 new cases recorded for the entire Cebu Island on Monday, May 11, out of the 549 specimen tested at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC). 

This now brings the total number of COVID-19 cases in the Province to 49, with 33 from CPDRC and 16 from the province.

Governor Gwendolyn Garcia said the new cases in CPDRC are inmates due for release but were first put on a mandatory quarantine and underwent swab tests before allowed to go home.

“Ang walo niini CPDRC inmates kun diin they were scheduled for release. Apan tungod sa established protocol pinaagi sa atong Executive Order, human ta nakig meeting sa mga executive judges nga upon issuance of their release order ato usa silang i-subject og 14-day quarantine. Ug sulod nianang 14 days, i-test una,” she said in her regular Facebook livestream report.

Of the 33 cases in CPDRC, 26 are inmates while seven are jail guards. 

There are 112 new cases reported for Cebu City bringing the total to 1,677 while none for Lapu-Lapu City and Mandaue City keeping the number of cases at 42 and 109, respectively. 

Garcia said the number of infected health workers still remain at four while one new case has been added to the group of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) making the total to 18 cases, as of today.  

The COVID-infected OFWs are part of the first batch of repatriated seafarers that arrived in Cebu last April 28. Another 44 OFWs arrived at the Mactan Cebu International Airport last week. 

Since the second batch of OFWs resulted negative in the real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test or swab test in Manila, Garcia said they will only be quarantined in Cebu City for five to seven days before they will be sent home. 

“Initially ang statement was i-diretso na kuno ni sila sa mga lungsod, dili na i-quarantine kay negative naman kuno sa PCR test. But I still requested (DOH-7) Regional Director Jaime Bernadas sa atong meeting sa OPAV (Office of the Presidential Assistant for the Visayas) adtong Sabado nga please give time to our local government units to prepare kay kinahanglan ni'g social preparation nga ang mga tawo didto makasabot nga kaning mangabot nga OFWs tested negative,” she explained. 

Cebu Island now has a total of 1,877 COVID-19 cases.

Meanwhile, Garcia reported that the Capitol-run hospitals recorded 12 influenza-like illness (ILI) and seven severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) cases as of today. 

Of the 12 ILI cases, 10 were sent home for isolation while two were admitted at the Cebu Provincial Hospital (CPH) in Carcar City and one in Bantayan District Hospital. 

Of the seven SARI cases, two were admitted in CPH Danao City, two in Bantayan District Hospital, and one in Tuburan. The remaining two cases died in CPH Balamban.

Two ILI cases were also recorded in rural health units in the province and none for SARI.

Currently, Cebu Province has a total of 4,053 persons under monitoring (PUM) and 73,979 who have completed their 14-day quarantine. (Mylen Manto)