IMG +63 (032) 888-2328 IMG cebugov.pio@gmail.com
IMG-LOGO
Cebu Prov Covid cases continue to drop
By: Vanessa Almeda | Published Thursday, October 15, 2020
The Covid-19 cases in Cebu Province made a considerable drop in the last 14 days.

The Province of Cebu posted a considerable drop in Covid-19 cases for 14 days from 459 in September 29 to 324 as of October 13. 

According to the October 14 Covid-19 bulletin of Department of Health (DOH) 7, the Province recorded 5 new cases and more recoveries. 

In the latest report of the Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO), of the 324 active cases, 268 are in isolation while 56 are hospitalized. Of those hospitalized, three persons are considered severe, 33 mild and 19 moderate.

For those placed in isolation, 185 or 69 percent are asymptomatic while the remaining 31 percent or about 83 persons have shown mild symptoms. 

IPHO tallied recoveries at 88.1 percent or from 5,168 persons recovered out of the total accumulated cases of 5,867.

IPHO Chief Dr. Christina Giango attributed the drop in cases to the level of awareness of Cebuanos on the disease. 

“People now practice the health standards like the wearing of face masks and face shields while ang uban sad nakat-on unsaon ma-protektahan ang mga vulnerable sectors,” she said.

Cebu Province has taken the lead in the fight against Covid-19 in the past six months by being first to put in place health and safety protocols. It was also the first to shift the manner of reporting Covid-19 cases by citing active cases instead of the accumulated total.

“The numbers will show that for as long as we focus on active cases, meaning positive minus recovered minus deaths, and for as long as we are able to manage these cases, Covid-19’s negative impact would pale in comparison to thousands, the hundreds of thousands nga karon wala na’y panginabuhi,” Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia said earlier. 

Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, economies worldwide including the Philippines have slowly collapsed as businesses and travels were put to a halt in an effort to minimize the spread of the coronavirus. 

But Garcia chose the path to recovery as early as May as she spearheaded an economic turnaround bannering on the Enhanced Countryside Development program that called on big businesses to invest in the towns and cities of the province.

She also pushed for tourism re-invigoration via the re-opening of the ridge to reef adventure tourism characteristic of Cebu’s hospitality industry and launched the Sugbo Negosyo program which aims to help micro and small enterprises get back on its feet again.

“Gibuksan usab nato karon ang kahigayonan nga ang atong mga kaigsuonan sa Lalawigan sa Sugbo makabalik sa pagbarog sa ilang duha ka tiil, to regain the dignity of helping themselves by encouraging entrepreneurship throughout the entire province,” she said. 

The governor also emphasized that Covid-19 may continue to stay “and having a zero case is still impossible.” 

But the disease, she said, is treatable thus “we could no longer afford to have the economy in continued comatose because of Covid otherwise, people will die of hunger.” (Vanessa Almeda)