IMG +63 (032) 888-2328 IMG cebugov.pio@gmail.com
IMG-LOGO
Oversupply of local pork in Cebu
By: Vanessa Almeda | Published Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Latest figures from the Central Visayas Pork Producers Cooperative (CeViPPCo) showed that there is now an oversupply of pork in the Province. (FILE PHOTO)

As onset of the Christmas season is getting near, Cebu Province officials assure there is enough supply of pork for the holidays. 

Latest figures from the Central Visayas Pork Producers Cooperative (CeViPPCo) showed that there is now an oversupply of pork in the Province.

According to Provincial Veterinarian Dr. Mary Rose Vincoy, this is mainly because some hotels have not opened yet while the pandemic continues. 

But as this may be the case locally, the demand for Cebu’s pork from other areas is on an uptick.

Governor Gwendolyn Garcia said this is because some 22 provinces in Luzon are now buying from local hog growers and pork producers. 

“The reason why there is now a spike in demand because 22 provinces in Luzon, ASF (African Swine Fever) has again struck, nag-outbreak na pud didto, mao nang mga taga-Manila nia na nagpalit nato,” she said.

The governor added because of the increase in demand, local hog growers are now enjoying higher prices for their produce. 

“Kabalo ko ang uban middle men ug traders nireklamo ana kay kaniadto paliton nila per kilo P110 unya karon P145 o P150 or P160. Asa man ka molaban? Sa source, nga intawon maoy nagpatubo, maoy nagbuhi maoy naningkamot nga makabaligya sa iyang baboy,” she said.

“Definitely unahon nato usa ang atong mga nagbuhi og baboy, at least karon maka enjoy sila og taas-taas nga presyo,” she added.

Earlier in May, the governor announced the indefinite extension of the pork ban following the Covid-19 pandemic that struck Cebu and the entire country.

In September 2019, she issued Executive Order 16 imposing a 100-day ban on live hogs and pork products from areas infected with the virus specifically from Luzon and China.

By December, she issued a similar ban for the pork entry coming from Eastern Visayas and by February 2020, she expanded the ban to Mindanao.

Garcia said the Capitol will continue to implement the ban on the entry of live hogs, pork meat and other pork-related products from Luzon and other areas in Visayas and Mindanao affected by the ASF.

“There are no changes. We continue to abide by the executive orders that I have issued as regards the banning of the entry of pork and pork related products from the entire Luzon, Region 8 and from the entire Mindanao,” she said.

She also added that the quarantine period for raw materials needed to produce hog feeds sourced from Mindanao and overseas will remain. 

Last March, Garcia met with local feed millers to discuss on the mandatory quarantine for corn coming from Mindanao and in neighboring Asian countries. 

It was learned that majority of the local feed millers source their raw materials, particularly corn from the island-region. 

As a result, Garcia enjoined feed millers to source their corn needs locally or produce their own raw materials as this will create jobs.

Corn from Mindanao will be quarantined for 20 days while those coming from abroad will have a 15-day quarantine period.

Meanwhile, Vincoy said the Provincial Task Force on ASF continues to enforce existing monitoring and checkpoints in Cebu’s ports and terminals underscoring that it has never stopped even amidst the pandemic.

“Even before the pandemic continue siya and our efforts wala man na nag stop even ang monitoring,” she told reporters.

There have been no cases of apprehension since the quarantine period until present indicating suppliers are now compliant. (Vanessa L. Almeda)